COLD? THIS WILL WARM YOU UP.
It's been pretty effin' cold, hasn't it? Wind, why must thou burn and bite me so? I hope you have all been layering up like the pros we must be now, and keeping warm.
When you come home from the day, treat yourself to this warm and sweet treat. Throw on a loved sweater and find a book: all these things have a knack for going perfectly together.
HOT COCOA RECIPE
Adapted from "Simple Hot Cocoa for One" recipe by Epicurious. My recipe makes a full large mug, which, to me, is one serving, but could easily be divided into two smaller servings.
- 1 2/3 cup milk (your choice of whole, skim, soy, almond...)
- 3-4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2-3 tbsp sugar
- a dash of cinnamon
- In a small saucepan, add a 1/4 cup of the milk, along with 3 tbsp cocoa powder and 2 tbsp sugar. Whisk until dissolved over medium-low heat.
- Once dissolved, add the rest of the milk.
- Continue whisking until mixture begins to steam. Add a dash of cinnamon and whisk until dissolved.
- Heat until desired temperature (remember that milk doesn't hold heat as long as water does), and add any additional cocoa or sugar to taste. Don't allow to boil, for risk of burning.
- Pour into mug and enjoy!
- If it's an extra-good day (or just any good ol' day), add a dollop (or three) of whipped cream over top.
May the weather be ever in our favour soon, friends. What are your favourite cold-weather treats?